I have a less specific color labeling system for picture books. I i
inherited it at one school(when I was at 2 schools) and as I watched the
year progress, that school had the closest to "right" picture book order
I had evwer seen--so, I stole the idea for my other school.
A-C red
D-F yellow
G-J white
K-O blue
P-R green
S-Z brown

yes, we are heavy in the brownsd but never changed it! Also, we do have
spine labels with the first 3 letters of the authors last name.
But,TEACHERS were the ones who didn't feel like crawling along the low
underwindow shelving to check out these letters. This way, you have one
section, two shelves high(under window shelving) to look for say. and
Ezra jack Keats book. The rest of the library is very  traditional
labelling, but I have 4 classes of circulating Kdg.fixed schedule,so
that's a lot of little guys at one time. This way, even they can get the
right section--and do. Honestly in 25 years, this system has given me the
best chance of finding a picture book when a teacher needs it NOW--if
it's in, it's in the correct section. The first year of labelling was a
big job--but not difficult--5th graders did it as a "club" period--now, I
or a volunteer maintains it.

LM_NET Archive Home