On Wed, 6 Nov 1996, Elizabeth Letterly wrote:

> We think we'll have a bookmark contest for Children's Book Week.  Don't you
> think that will be a success?!!

I have had a make-a-bookmark contest one day during CBW for the last
three years and the children love it.  Everybody makes a bookmark
illustrating their favorite book.  The teacher decides how a winner and a
runner-up should be chosen then sends those two bookmarks to the library.  I
get a couple of other staff members to judge two winners from each grade
level.  I laminate all of the winners and display the grade level winners
in the front hall display case.  Then (the part the kids love best) I
photocopy the winning bookmarks and have them available for all of the
students to choose as a bookmark during their library time.

It's a lot of work but every year, the students start asking in
September, "When are we going to do the bookmark thing again?"

Have fun!
Teresa Caddell                         Meadowcreek Elementary (Crowley ISD)
Librarian                              2801 Country Creek Lane
Meadowcreek Elementary                 Fort Worth, TX 76123
tcaddell@tenet.edu                     Phone: 817-370-5690