I have read the posts and was especially irked by someone who said this
was a petty thing and didn't deserve a hit.  I am now back in the English
classroom after 17 years as a librarian in both elementary and secondary
settings.  I have just finished an extensive research project with my
ninth graders who have no way of distinquishing the librarian from the
two library clerks.  The problem arises when I tell them to ask the
librarian for help in finding difficult topics.  They, of course, ask any
of the three and often the clerks just don't have the knowledge to help
them, so they return to me saying the librarian couldn't find anything.
I do think the extensive knowledge that the librarian has is different in
quantity and quality from that of a majority of clerical aides.  If not,
then what are we being paid extra for?  Maybe the librarian needs a
button saying "Ask me the really tough questions."

Vicki Sherouse
Missoula, MT

LM_NET Archive Home