Hi Vickey,

I think you might be looking for info about runestones. These stones have
the alphabets of the Scandanavian and/or Celtic peoples from the
1200/1300's. Some of these have been discovered in New England as
scientists feel that we were visited by Danes or Celts before Columbus
discovered America. Hope this helps.

Sheila Davis
Plympton School
Waltham, MA

On Tue, 24 Sep 1996, Vicki S Maiden wrote:

> Hi fellow LM_NEtters,
>      I have a 5th grade class that is trying to find info about the
> "runstone".  It is apparently a relic or fossil that has been found
> that shows that life existed in the 1200's.  I'm not sure if the
> spelling is correct.  I told them I would try to find any info about
> it.  They really want to know if the Smithsonian has taken a stance on
> the discovery, but I have not been able to find out anything by
> searching the Smithsonian pages.  Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
> --
> Vicki Maiden
> Director, Learning Resource Center