At 05:19 PM 11/29/97 -0600, Krahling, Char wrote:
>Our elementary (K-4) is using the STAR module of the Accelerated Reading
>program.  Several of our teachers went to a seminar and it was
>recommended that "reading level" labels be placed on the books.   I have
>mixed feelings about labeling and would like to know how it is working
>in schools where the labels have been used.
>
>I thought I would reply to the list as that might be others with the same
questions.  We have had AR for about 3 years but have really used it for 2
when most classrooms got a computer to be able to use it more readily.  I
had mixed emotions too about labeling books and truely feel that books in a
library should not be labeled;however, it is what teachers wanted because
of the fact that we are a primary school, k-3, and it saves time for
students looking for an AR book.  It also ruins the library lesson for 2nd
and 3rd graders who should have to look at a list and then go and find the
book.  But, as I said, teachers wanted it so I have put colored dots on the
spine of the books.  Each teacher has a list of the colors and what level
it represents.  Kids just look for their color.  Some teachers wanted all
AR books pulled and put in one spot together.  I did not do this.  Books
are on the shelf in their proper order.  Some AR books are also on other
lists and would be difficult to locate if not shelved properly.
Shelf-sitters created by AR?  Big Problem.  One of our elementary schools
takes to AR breaks during the year, where noone is allowed to check out AR
books.  The teachers have all agreed to this idea and this gets kids to
some of the other good books.  I let 2nd and 3rd graders check out two
books but only one can be AR.  I have also made book boxes for each
teacher.  In those boxes are AR books with serveral different levels so
that students can read in the room and test.  Those books are checked out
to the teacher and students do not take them home.  I also have a patron in
my computer called "Prize Winner", there are books checked out to Prize
Winner and when a student gets one tries to check it out and the computer
says "This  book is checked out to Prize Winner", that student wins a
prize.  I have some books that I got free from the Book Fair and I let them
pick a book as a prize.  Of course the prize winner books are not AR. Hope
this helps a little. AR does creat Shelfsitters, which is not good and yet
the AR program is a good program and I do believe it helps raise reading
levels.
Wanda
Wanda Nall
Northwest Primary
400 Moreman
Hereford, TX 79045
wnall@tenet.edu

 listserv@listserv.syr.edu              In the message write EITHER
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET  2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL  or 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST
 For more help see LM_NET On The Web:  http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/