Dear LM Netters,

        THANKS so much for the quick responses to my need for info. about
Christmas traditions.  Here's what I compiled:
Readers Digest has a web page with holiday themes

-----
-------------------------------------
Grolier has a beautiful new series about festivals around the world.  It is
called Fiesta or something like that--brand new--hot off the press.
___________________________________________________________________In the
December issue of Crayola Kids, on page 108, there is a side bar for
this web site:
http://www.christmas.com

"You can find out about Christmas Traditions from France, Asia, Italy, and
other countries and continents all over the world.  There's a Christmas
Countdown calendar that tells how many months, days, minutes and seconds
there are until Christmas, and you can learn to say "Merry Christmas" in
thirty three languages.  You'll find lyrics to Christmas carols and a place
to send email to Santa Claus as well.  And in the true spirit of Christmas,
you can learn how to help organizations like Toys for Tots, the Christmas
Seals Program, and groups that provide food for the hungry. "

I've looked at teh site, and it is great!
Try http://www.gil.com.au/ozkidz/Christmas/

for Christmas in Australia. This page has info and stories written by
Australian school children.
Lands End has an archived file of Holiday Greetings and Traditions from
Around the World. You can find it at their site by going to the site map,
then to the library. Otherwise you can try this address, which is unwieldy:
http://www.landsend.com/spawn.cgi?NODEEVNT0197&GRAPHIC&NAVIGMAP&08805097190
0
1

We recently published an issue of Online-Offline: Themes and Resources
called Celebrations. It included many Web sites, CD-Roms, books, etc., on
holidays and special events. If you haven't seen it, I'd be happy to send
you a free copy.

Catherine Barr
Editor
Try http://www.christmas.com
http://christmas.com/html

http://www.achristmas.com
http://christmas.com/html/worldview.html
Hi - DK Publishing has a new book out called "Children Just Like Me:
Celebrations!" in which children celebrate their favorite holidays and
traditions.  ISBN - 0-7894-2027-9.  Hope this is helpful -
I can tell you this from my own background (mostly German and Holland
Dutch).

St. Nikolaus Day (St. Nicholas) is celebrated on Dec. 6.   When the
children go to bed, they put their freshly polished shoes outside their
bedroom door.   If they have been good, St. Nikolaus fills the shoes with
candy, cookies and fruit.

Christmas Eve is the holiday for German families, not Christmas Day.
Once the oldest daughter has her own home, she is expected to host
Christmas Eve (that's my pleasure these days!)  Children are sent to
their rooms (or another part of the house) while the Christmas tree is
set up and decorated.   Once dusk arrives, no one is permitted out of the
house (except for the following: 1) medical emergency  2) to attend
religious services 3) to pick up/bring home elderly family members from
the celebration).   Those families with young children may attend an
early evening church service.   After dinner is served, then the room
with the Christmas tree is opened to all, and gifts are opened.   Then
it's time for church (if the family hasn't attended earlier.)    All
family members are expected to be at the Christmas Eve dinner (unless
illness or military service or similar reason prohibits it).   Family
members may bring friends in, but they can't go elsewhere.

Christmas Day is spent visiting family/friends or spending the day with
your immediate family.

Hope this helps!

Worldview by Christmas.com  http://christmas.com/html/worldview.html

Discover Christmas around the world!  Select a place on the world map or
select a link for other information on:
        The Origin of Christmas                 All about Santa Claus
        Christmas Symbolism                     Other Seasonal Holidays
        Early Christmas in America              Christmas in many
languages
        Christmas  Recipes                      Christmas Music
        Christmas Tree Ornaments

Holidays on the Net at http://www.holidays.net

An educational and fun site for every holiday. It even includes
background music
in MIDI format so when you are reading the stories, you get the
beautiful music
behind it.
Hope this is a help to those of you who were also looking for this info.
Have a Merry Christmas, Ho,Ho, Ho!
Barbara Tisdale

 listserv@listserv.syr.edu              In the message write EITHER
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET  2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL  or 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST
 For more help see LM_NET On The Web:  http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/