I wholly support your view on this.  It's important that educational policies
and practices be consistent.  You've pointed out that the Internet is simply
another medium (like books) and the school supports student exploration and
growth in non-curricular areas through books (not to mention sports
programs!).  Why shouldn't it with the Internet?

Charles Harmon
Neal-Schuman Publishers
ctharmon@aol.com

>Date:    Thu, 2 Oct 1997 07:59:50 -0400
>From:    The Moll Family <demoll@FLASH.NET>
>Subject: HS - Internet Access Restriction - not filters
>
>Dear High School people,
>
>I once again need some backup.  The computer tech in my building and I
>disagree on what students can use the internet for.  My contention is
>that if a student has a question that can be answered using the
>internet, then the internet should be available, regardless of whether
>the question is for an assignment or simply personal interest.  We
>certainly have books, magazines and newspapers on topics of personal
>interest: chess, rock stars, etc., and don't restrict their use to
>assignments only.  To me it is just another, highly useful, source.  I
>concede that students working on school assignments should get priority
>at the machines, but if a machine is open, I think it should be
>available. We have 30+ machines right now, with more on the way, so that
>is not an issue. She is adamant that the internet is to be used for
>classroom assignments only.  I know that this is going to come down to a
>meeting with the principal to defend my side.  (You must also know that
>I'm new here, and that as far as he is concerned she can do no wrong, so
>a meeting with him initiated by me would be seen as a power play and
>would not go over well.)
>What are your thoughts on this, policies, etc?
>
>Thanks!
>Denise Moll
>Lahser HS
>Bloomfield Hills, MI
>demoll@flash.net

 listserv@listserv.syr.edu              In the message write EITHER
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET  2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL  or 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST
 For more help see LM_NET On The Web:  http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/