 (from Eric Stacey, of Landfall Productions, Inc.)

>... As a producer of educational media, I am profoundly interested in your
>points of view on this because if JJ's view prevails within your
>profession, then it's just the luck of the draw that determines the quality
>of programs, books and materials which wind up on your shelves.

Eric:
        I'll take you at your word regarding profound interest.
        The fallacy here--the presumption--is that if these (quite possibly
useful) items and/or services were not aggressively waved under library
professionals' noses they would NEVER know such products and services
existed, or were available for their consideration.  That's really quite
insulting to ANY competent adult, but it is especially insulting, or naive,
when applied to LIBRARY professionals, who tend to have a certain adeptness
at research (in case you weren't aware)... .
        If those with legitimate products and services would truly not
patronize these busy professionals, they will make their product
information available at a REFERENCED location (library professionals just
might offer strategies and advice in this area) and trust that the
purchasers will seek them out AS THE NEED ARISES.  (Translate: you will
honk less people off, while squandering less of your OWN efforts and
resources, because those who seek you out, at their convenience, will
want--and thank you for--what you have to sell.)  Simply.
        Have fun!

Jeff Kirkpatrick

*****
        Let's be truthful, shall we?   It will be apparent to all but the
greatest dullard that acquiring, then using, an individual's (street or
e-mail) address or phone number, for the purpose of selling something, is
intruding into their life unbidden, which compares to looking--or even
feeling--up a woman's dress, or a man's kilt, without invitation.  Few such
advances will be welcomed.  Natural consequences should only be
expected--and felt!
        Those who attempt to rob us of our personal choice to invite, or
disinvite them, rob themselves and the products or services they
represent--of any credible worth.  (So, too, those who invade individuals'
educations with constrictive "standards," eh?)

Jeffrey E. Kirkpatrick
Profession: adventurer
Present Occupation: Records Manager (in Denver, CO)
e-mail address: jeffkirk@sni.net

listserv@listserv.syr.edu In the message write EITHER
    NOTE: Please allow time for confirmation from Listserv.
For more help see LM_NET On The Web: http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/