Gloria Knipp wrote:

> We are planning on attending ALA in a few weeks at the Convention Center in
> Washington, D.C. and are wondering about eating facilities located in or
> near the convention center.
> Some convention centers seem to have a nice choice of food at reasonable
> prices and/or eating facilities within a short walking distance.  Others
> have almost none.  Which category does the D.C. one fall into?

somewhere in between. There are plenty of decent places within six or
seven blocks from the Conv Center, but only a handful within one or two
blocks. Just east of the center is DC's Chinatown - great food, but not
the safest place at night. There are some ok places south towards Penn.
Ave, but they're often closed on the weekends.

Two suggestions:

Visit http://www.washingtonpost.com and visit its Style Live  section.
Good restaurant reviews, searchable by cuisine and neighborhood.

Get on the metro and go to Dupont Circle. Great cheap food, fun
atmosphere. If the weather is nice walk to Adams Morgan, which has the
best cheap ethnic restaurants in town - Vietnamese, Ethiopian, West
African, Italian, Turkish, Indian, Brazilian, all within two blocks or so.
Adams Morgan is a 20 minute walk from Dupont Circle metro.

If you want specific restaurant suggestions, email me. I work two blocks
from the convention center and spend most weekends in and around Adams
Morgan...

   WW                           Andy Carvin
  /__\                          andy@gsn.org
 | oo |    _WWWWW_
(|_()_|)  /  o o  \    (+)(+)   New Media
  \__/  (|  __o__  |) /      \  Project Officer
Come Visit The EdWeb Project at http://edweb.gsn.org