Dear Darcie, friends, and other LM_Netters,
Darcy had asked:
I just read an OLD post of yours on LM-NET that had some good ideas for
getting students to use inhouse and print resources.

I'm at the high school level. We have a T-1 Internet connection. Each
student has their own account, password, email address, and all.
I can't get them to look at anything we have here that is in print or
even CD-ROM! It it's not on the Internet, they won't be bothered.
What are some ideas that you can share with me to encourage and even
force the use of materials here on site?

Here's an example of what is happening:   A senior told her AP English
teacher that she spent 2 full hours in the library and could find
absolutely nothing on the author Harper Lee. The teacher came to me for
help. I said that she'd never even asked me for help. Within 3 minutes
I'd put my hands on 4 different sources of good bio info about Harper
Lee.  Come to find out, she'd spent 2 hours searching the
Internet----nothing else.
Darcy Stepka, Bishop Garc=EDa Diego High School,dstepka@bishopdiego.org
----------------------------------------------------------------------------=
-
My reply:
Unfortunately the students all believe the hype that EVERYTHING is
available on the internet.  Don't I wish.  Plus most of them don't know how
to use a search engine when they start. They do spend fruitless hours with
little to show for it.

I tried something this January that worked.
I have 5 internet workstations on a T1 line, plus three older machines that
we use to run cd's. In addition we have 4 fiche workstation for a Newsbank
(a newspaper service.)
I scheduled an English class into the LMC for three days and the computer
lab for an additional two days. The paper dealt with a controversial issue.

The first day I handed out a checklist (the teacher's idea) of LMC
resources they HAD to check.  I gave out the addresses (call numbers)
during my intro so they had to listen.
The next two days they had to use only the print and electronic resources
(CD's Magazine indexes, etc.,) and WERE NOT ALLOWED TO USE THE INTERNET!
(I'm such a meanie.)
Then I taught a lesson in the computer lab on search engines.  (SInce our
district is rural and we had just gotten our T1 line before Thanksgiving,
these students had not had an orientation on search engines or the
Internet.)  The last day they went to the lab and searched, with their
teacher in charge.
This seemed to work.  Hope this helps.
Jeanette

Mrs. Jeanette Heath