I got some great suggestions on how to attract students and teachers to
the library's services and keep them coming back.  Thank you so much to
the kind folks who shared their ideas!

Here they are. . .

----------

From Michigan:

I will respond to the portion about hookin em in.  One technique that my
kids(of all grade levels k-5) and my teachers cry for is called a cut and
tell story.  There are a few books on the market.  Mine is older and I
don't think you can purchase it.  It is the one thing I do not share as a
resource.  Also, any gimmicky stories for storytelling, which is a
powerful medium from "Story Vine" by Pellowski are big hits.  Also, there
are a couple of books of draw and tell stories which are fun.  The all
time favorite in my buildings are the cut and tells.  All I have to do is
get a piece of paper and the scissors and I have EVERONE'S attention.  I
love it!

----------

From Texas:

This may seem silly (and a little obvious), but one thing I do is try to
keep in mind what certain teachers like and might use.  Often I will say
to a teacher, "I saw this book and thought of you" or "I know just what
your class will like."  They seem to like the fact that I try to
personalize things for them.  When they have a request, I get to it as
quickly as possible and do the best job possible to find what they
need.  I make an effort to make time for the teachers.  If they need to
reschedule, I do it.  If they want extra check out times, I do it.  I
think they really like my flexibility.

----------

From Illinois:

My best advice/method would be--don't wait for them to come to you!  I
tend to practice unsolicited SDI--I am familiar with the curriculum
and "favorite units" of teachers and I always point out new resources
to them--whether it be a new reference book, web site, PBS program,
etc.  I find that even if they have "passed" the unit for this year,
they will look to using the resource in the future.  Then, the next
time they are looking for info. for a new unit, they will think of me.
 And keep working on them--I am very pleased to have a couple teachers
who "never" bring classes to the IMC decide to come in for just one
project.  Word-of-mouth travels fast!

This works, too, if you get to learn the students' reading tastes.
For example, I have an avid reader who LOVES Brian Jacques.  when my
new book came in, I saved it so he could read it first.  I have also
asked him to peruse similar titles which I have received for review.
He has "reeled in" friends who share the same interests. I also buy
the paperbacks that students suggest--that way they see that I'm
willing to buy "cool stuff" and will try other books of "mine".

----------

From New York:

The best advice I can give you is to always add the personal touch.
When you're new, you need to spend a lot of time getting to know people
- students, teachers, administrators, district office staff, board
members.  Then, as you learn their wants and interests keep your eyes
open.  People are so impressed when you've thought of them.  Something
as simple as letting them know the cover story on this week's Time
magazine is about a topic they teach or are interested in makes a huge
impact.  They'll come back with more requests.

Ask for suggestions and assistance in spending your budget - titles they
would recommend.  People love to help that way.

There is also a good back issue of The Book Report magazine, May/June
1993 - Building Influence for the School Librarian.  Read it!  You'll
find loads of suggestions of things to do.  Don't get overwhelmed - just
try to do a few of those things every year.

Be non-judgmental - even if it kills you.

Volunteer for activities involving kids and staff that you feel would be
fun to you.  That way you'll enjoy them.  (Newspaper advisor, drama
club, etc.)

Really, just get to know people and let them get to know you, and you'll
see that your involvement will grow.

Good luck.  An most of all - have fun!

----------

Also from New York:

* New materials display at all faculty meetings.
* Individual memos to teachers on materials (new or old) that may be of
  special interest.
* Suggestion box (staff and student) for possible purchases.
* Contests for kids.  Simple ones with inexpensive or free prizes.
  (Guess the circ for a week;  monthly reference question; name the
  author.  Prizes are publisher freebies: posters, bookmarks, etc. or
  free copies on the library copier)
* Give copies of most handouts to your administrator.  If a teacher
  sends you a thank you ask them to also let the admin know.

Go the extra mile:  if you don't have it, offer to get it or suggest
an alternative.

This is the greatest job in the world.

----------

From Massachusetts:

        My recipe for success includes the prompt and sure reponse to any
patron (student or teacher) inquiry.  By this I mean, I try to drop
everything in order to fulfill their request.  Nothing makes a patron
feel more important than to have your undivided attention.  A quick
turn around time coupled with a thorough answer will get them every
time.

        When I first started in this position (13 years ago), I spent my
prep periods and lunch times in the teachers room developing contacts with
teachers.  When they talked about a unit, I suggested ways in which they
could incorporate the library.  We started with a small group of teachers
and the word of our successful collaborations ultimately reached the
entire faculty.  I would say the majority of our staff use the library for
research projects on a regular basis.
        Good luck as you enter the library world.  Nothing is better.

----------

From California:

Lots of smiles, a bright, colorfull, inviting environment, frequent
stories read aloud - the teachers all say the kids always ask "Is it
library day yet? When do we get to go back?" - Guess I'm doing something
right. . . !

I do go out of my way to find items for teachers (our collection is brand
new, so sometimes I truly "hunt!") and often email them URLS, etc. I've
garnered from LMNet (they are always impressed!). I also encourage them to
send down their class art work or projects for display.

----------

From Alabama:

For high school:

We ask teachers and students for suggestions... not all do we follow up
on.  Stephen King is popular, but they steal and lose all the books so we
dropped him!  However, John Grisham, Mary Higgins Clark and other
bestsellers have proved very, very popular!  We also give teachers old
magazines and books and order "just for fun" magazines, like Martha
Stewart's Living and Better Homes.  We are trying to get the principal to
allow our student assistants to run copies for teachers, too!  We hope
this will be extremely popular.  We won't deliver so teachers will have to
come in.  Check your local public libraries for bestsellers.  We can
ocassionally find them for 50cents apiece.

----------

From Minnesota:

In the Fall, I host a book buying spree for students to the local
bookstore.  We return to the school library for pizza and to look over our
purchases.  I do this between Fall and Winter sports seasons.  In the
Spring I host a faculty book buying spree to a more academic bookstore and
we eat at the classy restaurant next door. I pay for the student's pizza,
however the teachers pay for their own meals.  The books chosen are for
the library, and I make displays in the weeks following highlighting the
choices.  These 2 events are annual and very popular.

----------

From Missouri:

Among many things - one which is very simple and most can do is to
dedicate a bulletin board in the LMC on which you place newspaper
clippings which are about your students and teachers...course works best
in High Schools (papers tend to give good sports coverage)....another
thing (if you have internet) is to allow students to check their email!!!
My eight stations are filled as soon as I open at 7:30.

Another thing to try, is to set out a chess board and see what happens.
May need to limit play to before and after school hours.

Tip: stand outside your door between classes and just be friendly to
students as well as teachers.  A smile does a lot!  Take the initiative.
Be the first to smile and say "hello".  Notice new hair-dos, clothes, tans
- etc!

For PR with teachers, find out what they are teaching, and send them web
sites, or show them magazines, books, etc. dealing with that subject.  Let
them know when you will be making ordering decisions, and also let them
know you will honor and appreciate any requests they have.  When they ask
for help, give it promptly and pleasantly - even if you have stay late to
do so!

Make a display of "Favorites" where you place teacher's and student's
favorite books with their name on a sticky note.

LEARN names and use them!! People love to be remembered and love to have
their name used!! Be interested in what they are doing and in what they
need.

Last - don't take yourself too seriously.  You WILL make mistakes.  It
is handy to be able to apologize, then laugh at yourself.  Never be
too quick to jump on someone for their behavior....look the situation
over first.  Often, students will behave if you make serious eye
contact with them. If that fails, one can approach the misbehaving
student and politely, quietly, firmly  ask if you can be of assistance.

----------

From Pennsylvania:

Here's one we try with our faculty.  Whenever a new magazine comes in, the
check-in sheet has faculty names listed who would like to receive a copy
of the Table of Contents.  The faculty then know that the new issue has
arrived, and roughly what it covers.  We send around a list at the
beginning of the school year, and faculty simply circle the titles that
interest them.

Interestingly enough, only administrators have sent back the sheet asking
for a copy of an article -- teachers actually come in to read!

----------

From Maryland:

I would guess what hooks my staff and students is the type of
instructional activities I create.  I tend to develop the graphic
organizer, worksheet, packet whatever so as to integrate information
utilization skills with classroom content.  Since the work is done for the
teacher so to speak and the kids are involved with meaningful learning,
everyone is happy.  I am happy because I am getting the skills I see as
crucial into the kids experiences.  We do a number of fun things as well
involving a thematic yearlong reading incentive and special contests.
Kids have daily access for book exchange which brings many in on a daily
basis.  This works with most not all.  I have some teachers who
practically ignore us all year.  I see their kids in other contexts
however.

----------

From British Columbia:

I offer to small groups for novel studies.  I like to do this with grade
twos and threes.  I also plan literature based projects with the
intermediate staff.  This is a nice change from doing research projects
all the time.  Give them part of a unit to spark their interest.  Discuss
things in the staff room so others over hear and get interested as well.

----------

From New Jersey:

One of the things that I have found that works best is to show that you
love your work.  People tend to feel more comfortable asking you to do
things if they know you like to do it.  I try and make my media center a
warm and comfortable place that people feel welcome to visit.  The tech
person at our school gives teachers the cold shoulder and they really
don't use the lab.  I've been able to help them in a very limited way
because of time and resources, but they know they can come to me and ask
for help.

Thanks again, folks!  This is yet another example of the power of the
Internet -- the exchange of ideas.

Gabe :-)

GABE GANCARZ, TEACHING ASSISTANT         UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS
Learning Resources [Computer] Lab              2nd-Year Student
GRAD SCHOOL OF L.I.S.                        GRADUATING MAY '98
http://www.lis.uiuc.edu/~gancarz/            Ph. (217) 333-9890
gancarz@alexia.lis.uiuc.edu                  Fax (217) 244-3302