Yes, I do remember the Landmark Biography series.  Much later, I
realized that they were quite romanticized and somewhat biased, but I
don't think it harmed me much. Like Mary Ann, I did start reading
more history and drifted into it in college.  However, I did have
another source for my history interest. In fourth and fifth grades I
read the complete (cover to cover to cover) 1919 Book of Knowlege.  I
learned a great deal of history, all British and stopping at 1918.
<grin>.

This concentration sort of short circuited the usual reading and I
didn't get to the usual children's classics until I was actually a
school librarian.  (then I speed read alot of books, so I could
answer the questions the kids had)  While I read My side of the
mountain every couple of years, and have read the Narnia and Prydian
series more than a few times, I didn't read them in school.
Actually, becoming an elementary school librarian opened up a whole
new world of books that I had missed... somehow.

Dan Robinson
Indexing Services
H.W. Wilson Company
Bronx, NY