   Okay, I'm with Mary Ann.  I read all of Terhune I could find at the
library, and even named my dog Buff after a Terhune canine character.  An
aunt got me started on Terhune (to shake me loose from fairy tales and Oz
books).  I went on to a steady diet of dog and horse books:  the Silver
Chief, Dog of the North books; Big Red and others by Kjelgaard;  Bluegrass
Champion (Harlequin Hullabaloo) by Dorothy Lyons.  And oh, there were books
about a nurse who became an airline stewardess.
   My favorite Childhood of Famous Americans biography was of Louisa May
Alcott.  I think the series is not well-regarded now, but I thoroughly
enjoyed that one;  it made quite an impression on me.
   On Andrew Henry's Meadow:  my oldest son has still not forgiven me for
donating his (I thought outgrown) copy to the school library.

Cindy Carr

(Mary Ann Bell wrote:)
>Does anyone else admit to reading all of Albert Payson Terhune's books?
>Not JUST Lad: A Dog but all the others. I should have mentioned them as
>favorites. Also, I remember little orange books that were biographies.
>Cannot remember publisher or series. Illustrations were always black
>silhouettes. I am ashamed to say I once cultivated the friendship of a
>little girl down the street just because she owned the entire set and
>would loan them to me two at a time. Mary Ann
>
>--
>**?**?**?**?**?**?**?**?**?**?**
>"Try curiosity!"  --Dorothy Parker
>**?**?**?**?**?**?**?**?**?**?**
>Mary Ann Bell, Librarian
>York Junior High School
>Conroe ISD, TX
>Adjunct Reference Librarian
>Montgomery College TX
>mbell@main.com
>mbell@conroe.isd.tenet.edu

Cindy Carr, Librarian     Cleveland [Okla.] H.S.
e-mail: (home)wccarr@ionet.net (school)cleve24@edumaster.net
http://www.cleveland.k12.ok.us