I haven't checked my mail for a few days over Easter and suddenly there
are 300 messages mostly seeming to deal with favorite books from
childhood. I saw the original post and replied to whoever put it up,
but now I think its time to add my favorites for everyone.

So far no one I've seen has listed the Australian children's classics.
Perhaps not surprisingly. There are a number of books that probably
every child in Australia has grown up with. They have always been in
print, still in original impressions. These are Norman Lindsay "The
Magic Pudding", May Gibbs "Snugglepot and Cuddlepie", Dorothy Wall
"Blinky Bill" and Ruth Park "The Muddle-headed Wombat". The first two
titles are about 70 years old, the latter two some fourty years old. Do
any non-Australian members know these books? When I was a child I lived
quite near Norman Lindsay who by the 1960s was almost respectable. If
anyone has seen the movie "Sirens" with Sam Neil as Lindsay you will
see he was quite a character in the 1920s. Sam Neil (or at least his
voice) is slated to be in a movie of "The Magic Pudding".
Other favorites from childhood include the Biggles books of WE Johns
(I've always wanted to write the definitive biography of Biggles along
the lines of Baring-Gould's of Sherlock Holmes and Phil Farmer's of
Tarzan - but the books are getting very hard to track down), The
Hobbit, The Heinlein juveniles, and from a younger age Enid Blyton -
Noddy, the faraway tree, the wishing chair, the secret seven, the
famous five...

Jon Noble
Teacher Librarian
Glendale High School