Dear netters,

Here's what you had to say about the comparison between Clarisworks and
Microsoft Office.  Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to my
question.

Laura Richards
Librarian
Fox River Grove School District 3
Fox River Grove, IL  60021
LERich7@aol.com
--------
I have both in my schools.  I feel they both have a place.  The clip art in
Office is definitely not geared toward schools.  We let those who prefer
Word use it and those who prefer ClarisWorks use it.  Nothing wrong with
that - they both get the job done.  I will never understand the reasoning
behind restricting access to a program that someone is used to.  Why should
someone who is comfortable with Claris suddenly have to learn Word because
some else likes it better!  Makes no sense to me.  No one will ever know
which one you used when you write a letter.  The more programs you learn,
the more flexible you are and the better prepared for the workplace.
Teachers should be allowed to use the one they like.  I go back and forth
between the two.
--------
I think once you use Office for a while, you'll never want to go  back.
Clarisworks is really much less powerful, and believe it or not, it's not as
flexible as Office. As for the students, I think they'll do fine on Office.
We have Clarisworks in our lab, but WordPerfect in the classrooms. Everyone
prefers WP, and the students have no problems with it at all.
--------
It's just another version of the Mac vs PC thing.

Apple bundled Clarisworks (which went belly up and is now owned by Apple and
is called Appleworks) and the PCs bundled in Office.  I bought Appleworks for
my PCs and Office for my Macs, so now it doesn't matter which one you like to
use--I have them both on both platforms.  I think it's important to be
universal in the media center.
--------
My entire school system uses Clarisworks as its main application for word
processing etc.  It is helpful to have consistency through the system,
especially when attachments to e mail are sent out.  Also it is a fairly
easy system to use, even for novices.  There is also a Claris for Kids for
very little kids which we are trying out this year in grades 1 and 2.
--------
I love Word, but barely know it.  If find few in education really get an
opportunity to take advantage of all the power of Word.  That's why I promote
using Clarisworks.  Anyone can use all of the features with little help.
--------
I think Clarisworks is easier for kids (big and little) than Office. I haven't
used Clarisworks for Kids, but I understand it is great for little kids.
--------
The only place I have used Claris is in the school district. Apple gave the
district a bunch of computers many years ago and it has only bought PCs in the
laast few years. As I understand it Claris was first designed for Macs.  I
have used Works and/or Word on PCs for years.  In comparison I find Claris
clunky and unnecccessarily complicated to use.  There are several things that
just can't be done or are extremely complicated to do in Claris that are quick
and easy in Word.  I am very glad that I have been allowed to have Office on
my school computer and that I am allowed a PC.  The school district is
gradually moving to PCs (and Office)due to cost/quality though those staff who
really want Macs can have them.
-------
Hi, I'm in a K-8 district that has gone to Office, too.  The theory is that
that's what they are using in the High Schools, so let's just start them out
on it - by the time they graduate they will be proficient.  Also, it's part of
the movement to standardize the programs being used and taught throughout the
District.  I've used both, and don't feel Office is that much more difficult
to start on, and it has a lot of flexibility for the experienced user.
-------