Jane and LM_NET buddies:  this year my library instituted a copying and printing
policy that has worked just fine.  The first page or copy every day for every
student is free.  Each page or copy after that is 10".  If a student needs another
copy or page, and a friend or acquaintance will stand beside him to give him or her
their free page (pronoun grammar just lost out to brevity), then he can have two
free pages or as many free pages as friends he can round up. It is plain to the
students that we are not trying to make money, but there is a "governor" on the
copy and printing, and the compulsive copiers are certainly restrained.  However,
when a student needs a copy, she can have her one free copy or printout every day
so that books and magazines are not damaged.  Students have been just great about
paying up.  I tried at first to ration paper to the printers, but I've learned that
isn't necessary.
     So, it doesn't have to be "to charge or not to charge."  It can be a
combination:  no charge for one, but two or more costs a dime.
---
Donna Cook, Nacogdoches, Texas :
Teacher/Librarian Central High;
District Coordinator, Central ISD;