Hi all - again

Here is my original request:

> Hi all:
>
> Hope someone can answer this question. My daughter is wondering how
some
> folks manage to put a standard message on their emails when they are
out
> of town. She has gotten a number of emails from business
correspondents
> that say, 'Ms. so-an-so is away from the office until 'date' and can
be
> reached after that time" or some such message. Similar to a voice mail

> message. It appears to be an automatic thing.
>
> She's curious if this is a function of the email or if it is a
> company-dependent thing. If it is a part of the email capacity, she'd
> love to know if it can be done with ***Netscape Communicator***....and
how?!

I got the following HITS but none for Netscape Communicator....surely
someone out there uses Netscape Communicator and knows how this might be
done?!?! If so, do reply and I will post a HIT again.

I have a free "email for life" account with bigfoot.  I believe that
this
service allows you to do just that.  Go to www.bigfoot.com
If  you go under tools in the menu, there should be a choice for "mail
rules".  That will allow you to set many different rules and reply to
every
message sent or only certain ones. I have only tried this on Microsoft
products.  I am not sure this is standard on all email programs.
Hope this helps.
A lot of programs have this feature.  In Microsoft Outlook, it's called
the
Out-of-Office assistant, and it lets you automatically send a message
like
this to others when you are gone.  A note of caution; be careful about
using
this if you are subscribed to one of more listservs/discussion lists,
otherwise this message will be sent to the list everytime a message is
forwarded to you!  Best to temporarily sign off the listservs when
you're
gone; then, the "out of the office" message will only go to those that
send
you personal messages.
 I use Claris Emailer and it is a function of that program.
 I like it because I can set up different replies, for different
accounts
or types of email..
Example: If I get an email from a friend (who is already in my address
book), my reply may be: Suzanne is on vacation... (wish you were here!)
...etc
No reply is set up for listserv mail, and all other mail gets a .. "I am

away from email until ,date>"
Our e-mail server at work allows the administrator to set up automatic
messaging options for users.  I haven't set it up -- too many other
things
to do -- but would like to before everyone leaves for summer.
Hope these help some of you....I will hope that someone with NETSCAPE
COMMUNICATOR can offer me specific help.

Jody Newman
Library Aide
Center School
Stow MA