In my e-mail package, you go under Edit to Preferences and then it asks if you
want an automatic reply and gives you a space to type your message. Look around
under your headings until you see something similar. Hope this helps.
Vicki

Vicki Walker
Director of Instructional Media
Southwest Allen County Schools
Fort Wayne, IN

jcnewma@ibm.net,Internet writes:
>Hi all - again
>
>Here is my original request:
>
>> Hi all:
>>
>> Hope someone can answer this question. My daughter is wondering how
>some
>> folks manage to put a standard message on their emails when they are
>out
>> of town. She has gotten a number of emails from business
>correspondents
>> that say, 'Ms. so-an-so is away from the office until 'date' and can
>be
>> reached after that time" or some such message. Similar to a voice mail
>
>> message. It appears to be an automatic thing.
>>
>> She's curious if this is a function of the email or if it is a
>> company-dependent thing. If it is a part of the email capacity, she'd
>> love to know if it can be done with ***Netscape Communicator***....and
>how?!
>

>I got the following HITS but none for Netscape Communicator....surely
>someone out there uses Netscape Communicator and knows how this might be
>done?!?! If so, do reply and I will post a HIT again.

>I have a free "email for life" account with bigfoot.  I believe that
>this
>service allows you to do just that.  Go to www.bigfoot.com
>If  you go under tools in the menu, there should be a choice for "mail
>rules".  That will allow you to set many different rules and reply to
>every
>message sent or only certain ones. I have only tried this on Microsoft
>products.  I am not sure this is standard on all email programs.
>Hope this helps.
>A lot of programs have this feature.  In Microsoft Outlook, it's called
>the
>Out-of-Office assistant, and it lets you automatically send a message
>like
>this to others when you are gone.  A note of caution; be careful about
>using
>this if you are subscribed to one of more listservs/discussion lists,
>otherwise this message will be sent to the list everytime a message is
>forwarded to you!  Best to temporarily sign off the listservs when
>you're
>gone; then, the "out of the office" message will only go to those that
>send
>you personal messages.
> I use Claris Emailer and it is a function of that program.
> I like it because I can set up different replies, for different
>accounts
>or types of email..
>Example: If I get an email from a friend (who is already in my address
>book), my reply may be: Suzanne is on vacation... (wish you were here!)
>...etc
>No reply is set up for listserv mail, and all other mail gets a .. "I am
>
>away from email until ,date>"
>Our e-mail server at work allows the administrator to set up automatic
>messaging options for users.  I haven't set it up -- too many other
> [...]

Sent Using The Southwest Schools FirstClass E-Mail Gateway.
"Our Goal Is To Make A Difference"