>but enjoyed doing as much for
>themselves as possible.  It's amazing what children can do, if we teach them
>skills and then get out of the way and let them use them!

 Apparently, some of my students are not absorbing what I thought they
were (or they are just LAZY). This week , I had several fifth graders ask
me where the chapter books were. <deep sigh> We only have one wall that
contains books (the other books are on free standing shelves), and it has
a huge computer generated banner that says FICTION BOOKS which you can
see from anywhere in the room. I tried to not get frustrated with these
students, but they have been at this building for 4 years. I just told
them to look around the library until they could find a sign to help
them.

 Then again, I have some wonderful second graders (who are in our
building for the first time) , who have figured out out to use the OPAC
to locate books, once I've shown them how to sign on. I even have some
bright third graders who help me put away the Dewey numbered books. I
explained the numbers, and they shelve away. I check up on them while
they work, but they are doing great!

 Thanks for letting me vent!

Suzanne (Weinheimer) Ng, Librarian
South Orange - Maplewood School District, NJ
email - sng@somsd.k12.nj.us
home: suzanne@whatexit.com
http://www.southmountain.somsd.k12.nj.us