Thanks to everyone who responded to my request for information on Chancery's
Library Pro. It seems the overall consensus is that this program is lacking
in several areas.  As requested, I have posted my original message along
with the responses I received.  I welcome any other responses.  Thanks
again.

Sent 1/19/01:
Our school (currently under construction) is looking into purchasing an
automation system for our future library.  We have been leaning towards
Chancery's Library Pro and was wondering if anyone out there is currently
using it.  I have seen hits in regards to automation systems but none
specifically targeting Library Pro.  If you are using it or have currently
used Library Pro could you please let me know how it is working for you
(likes and/or dislikes).

I would highly recommend Athena by SageBrush

We've been using Library Pro for 3 years and I'm not thrilled with it, but
it does fill our basic needs.  There are a couple of things I can
specificially point to.  First, in the catalog records, students almost
NEVER recognize the call number as such but automatically click through to
the full record which contains the bar code but NOT the call number.  I have
to tell them to back up and show them where the call number is in the brief
record.  Secondly, the overdue reports do NOT show the first name of the
patron, although all the records have the first names in the proper field.
Tech support is through a local reseller and has improved but is not great.
He is a MAC guy, and we have the Windows version.  I think part of the
problem is that this was originally a MAC product and they rushed into
Windows production to satisfy a demand.  Just a theory.  Good luck.  Feel
free to email me off list with specific questions.

We have been using Library Pro for about six or seven years.  It was
MacLibrary when we started.  We went with it because our administration was
going to use MacSchool. That was the programs would be compatible.  I made
the commitment and entered the data and then the administration changed
their mind about MacSchool.  It has definitely been a work in progress.  The
updates have fixed some glitches but created others.  No program is perfect.
I have my tech support directly from Chancery and they are fantastic.  .  I
have seen other programs that I don't like and some that I like better.When
I have considered changing systems, no one will guarantee that my data will
transfer so I am sticking with Library Pro.

NO NO a thousand times NO!!!  Whatever you do, don't get LibraryPro!!!

Now that I have your attention.  Hi Amanda,
I am currently STUCK with LibraryPro and would do anything to get rid of it.
Years ago it was awful as MacSchool and it hasn't gotten any better.  It is
not user friendly, does not have many things that I assume are on all
library software programs, crashes frequently...even my computer guru can't
stand it!  I have used both Follett and Winnebago.  I love Follett, but
there is another one that I saw demonstrated that looked really good...I
think it was Alexandria.  There is a comparison in School Libr Journal if
you want to look at all the different ones

We are using it and have been using it.  I am very happy with support
after I had a major problem in December.

I've been using library pro for almost 12 years.  The program used to be
called something else, but put out by Chancery.  The old program was a
glorified database but had some features I miss in this newer version.
This fall when I went to convention I visited several of the vendors for
other automation systems and after trying them out, decided Library Pro was
fairly similar to the others. One feature I wish was different is the
amount of searching you have to do to determine who has a book checked
out--example, a teacher comes in asking for Heidi.  You can see it is
checked out but you have to open two folders to find out what patron number
it is checked out to and then go into patrons to locate the name of that
person.  Very time consuming.  I also don't like the subject search.  It
doesn't allow for you to use and/or when searching subjects.  It  also will
not recognize a "space" between words when scanning for a title so you
might try to scan down to look for New Look but it will take you to New and
you need to scan through all books starting with "new" until you get to the
title you need (In my case, several sets of New Book of Knowledge)
I've decided I will stick with it, though.  And the tech help has always
been knowledgable and friendly.

yukky, yukky, yukky (does that say enough?)  we don't like it at all and
have budgeted for a new system ASAP

Last year when I started at this school the administration wanted
to use Library Pro for automation. I had used Follett and  liked it but
since they were really anxious to use it I got a CC with a sample program
on it and "played " with it at home. I thought that the interface looked
rather childish for high school  and found that there were things that I
was used to doing in Follett that I couldn't do  or couldn't do as easily
with Chancery. We chose Follett and I've been more than satisified.
Realize that this is not the same as some one who has used it but if they
will give you a demo disk it might be easier for you to judge if it works
in your circumstances

I had it last year and didn't like it at all.  There must be something in
the archives. I've liked Follett, I'm learning Winnebago.  Chancery just
couldn't do the things I wanted, allowed me to get into way too much trouble
and were hard to get a hold of for help.  I don't know why you are
considering it.

Amanda Andrews
Future Librarian
Dayspring Academy, Tennessee