Julia Steger wrote:

>  I think the topics for the projects could best
> come from the teachers but I want to make sure I cover the above
> listed
> skills and whatever else you geniuses can add.

Rather than have teachers assign topics, I suggest you have teachers
suggest a broad theme or category; then ask students to brainstorm
topics that connect to the theme/category.  Each student can select a
different topic, so they are finding out about different aspects of a
subject rather than competing for resources about the same subject.  You
might also consider giving them the opportunity to choose the mode in
which they will show the results of their research -- computer
presentation, written report, visual representation of some kind,
speech/dramatization, etc.

> I also want to give rewards
> for work well done...just little treats, bookmarks, etc. after each
> lesson
> to all who accomplished a goal.  (Any reward suggestions would be
> welcome as
> well.)

Plan a "celebration" in which students can present their work to others
-- sort of like a mini-conference with poster sessions, symposia, etc.
Your "reward" could be a copy of a program in which you list all the
presenters and the topics they chose.  Then the students have a tangible
record of their contribution to the celebration.  Hey, it works for
college professors and education professionals!

Aleene Nielson
Former LM Coordinator, Teacher, Prof.
Learning Opportunities Unlimited
ablanca@bigplanet.com