At 09:07 PM 10/24/2001 +0200, you wrote:
>I just wanted some feedback about the following:
>         Assignment Length: 1200 words
>         Due Date: Feb 2002
>         Topic: to choose from a list of 20
>         Students Age: 13 years
>
>1. is this too difficult/hard for a 13 year old student?

How about some feedback on the following?
Shed size:  10' x 14'
Date Due:  Feb 2002
Design:  to choose from 20 floor plans
Builder Age: 40

1.  is this too difficult for a 40 year old man?

The answer to both questions depends in part on how much experience they
have at the job they have been asked to do?  If you don't know how to
"build" a 1200 word paper it will be about as painful to build as a shed
that was built by someone who has a different full time job and has never
hammered a nail or used a level.  In either case you are likely to end up
with a poor product that was hastily done, and a builder who never wants to
be put through that kind of pain again.

Actually, neither job is too difficult regardless of experience.   A
motivated individual will get through it.  The real question is whether
either assignment is of value to the person who has to create them.  If
they have some background and the job is a logical step above their
previous experience level, there is good reason to proceed.

On another level, the problem with the type of assignment listed above is
the fact that 13 year old students seldom have the planning skills
necessary to budget their time.  Unless there are benchmarks that students
have to meet between now and February, where they have specific task due,
you can be sure that the majority of the projects will be do the week that
they are due.

Art

Art Wolinsky                                awolinsky@oii.org
OII Technology Director         http://oii.org/
East Coast Facilitator           http://web-and-flow.com/
National Action Committee    http://www.wiredkids.org
(609) 597-9481 ext 337          (609)
698-8223
I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.
I will surely learn a great deal today.