----- Original Message -----
From: "Marilyn Johnson" <mjohns@HUSD3.HOLBROOK.K12.AZ.US>
To: <LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
Sent: Friday, February 01, 2002 4:32 PM
Subject: Re: SEC: Parental request

> I've been reading all of these posts with interest and agree and disagree
with
> something in almost every one. Your message, Elizabeth, moved me to add my
> probably inflated two cents. I'm the mother of five children, all adults,
married
> with their own children. I, too, wanted them to be independent and make
> independent choices (and they are way too independent for me now!) Because
I was
> allowed to read whatever I wanted, no questions asked, I thought my
children
> should as well.  My older daughter and I were discussing children and the
books
> which they read three or four years ago (she's 38) and she said, "Mother,
you let
> me read books that I was not ready for and they scared me and affected me
> seriously. I wish you had monitored my reading."  > >
> > --

Can we always know exactly WHAT will "scare and affect" a child ?  Asking
your child about their reading and how they feel about it would seem a
better response to allay fears and educate the child about the world than to
restrict the reading up front.  The task of pre-reading and evaluating
evrything ahead of the child seems an impossible task, but making them
comfortable about discussing ANYTHING is a parental dutyAs a young person I
remember having fears about all kinds of things. But having those fears and
thoughts, I chalk up to experience.  Life is leaning to deal with fears in a
reasonable manner.  Avoidance can lead to ignorance.

  Please do not take this as a personal slam on anyone's parenting,  It is
just another way of looking at the issue.  By age 12 or so, a healthy fear
of all kinds of things is not bad.

Cheryl A. Sturgeon
Elem. Library/Media Spec.
Highland Local Schools (OH)