Dear Mike...
     As a northern neighbour, I have been so thrilled
to read about what your country is doing.
Unfotunately for us here in Canada we have had several
cutbacks and many school libraries are being
decimated.  It appears that education must aways do
these swings from left to right and the only hope I
have (after being in education for 23 years) is to
believe that the swinging pendulum will quickly move
to the other side again.
     Our beautiful British Columbia is sadly out of
whack however and will remain so for the next 3 years.
 We have an overwhelming majority of representives of
one party in power and only 2 in opposition so to all
intents and purposes, we are presently being governed
and policies being made by one party.  This makes it a
little overwhelming and discouraging at times, to say
helpless.
     As with many places, governments ar cutting back
and the economy here has taken a downturn, partly
because of the policies of the province (many jobs
have been lost in all areas and education is no
exception), the effects of 9-11 on your country and
then on ours (we are neighbours as you know and
somewhat joined at the hip...and chest and
shoulders...), and the softwood  trade issue which has
caused more job losses.  All of these factors make it
difficult for this liberal government to budge from
it's determination to change from it's original road.
     We here in BC and not taking it lying down
however.  Protest rallies continue, letters continue
to flood the paper about various issues and the BCTF
(British Columbia Teachers Federation) is pursuing
some of the legislative changes at the BC Supreme
Court.
    Here in Chilliwack, despite some cuts to our
teacher-librarians in all schools, we are hosting the
BC Teacher Librarian's conference at harrison Lake in
October.  Many of our teacher- librarian colleagues
continue to write to the major papers, to lobby
administrators (principals), to inform school board
trustees, talk to parents about the changes,  and to
write to our local MLA's (representatives in the
government) and the Minister of Education.
    Many of the advocacy messages including those with
article references are photocpied and handed on.
     We may not make a huge dent, but we will continue
to be a squeaky wheel.
       Have a wonderful day tomorrow...I'll be
thinking of you at school.
              Sincerely,