Hi folks,

I wrote this about 8 years ago and it got me lots of trouble here in my
hometown of Mankato MN! I still pretty much stand by it. I am huge fan
of both B&N and public libraries. I'd hate to not have access to either
one.

Doug
************
Doug Johnson
Director of Media and Technology
I.S.D. 77, Mankato Public Schools
Box 8713, Mankato MN 56002-8713
Voice: 507-387-7698, Fax: 507-387-2496
E-mail: dougj@doug-johnson.com
Web: www.doug-johnson.com

"The fates guide those who go willingly; those who do not, they drag."
Seneca

What the Public Library Could Learn from Barnes & Noble

My 10 year old son gave me pause the other day. He asked to if I'd take
him out after supper to see if the latest book in his favorite Goosebump
series was out. Normal kid-type request.

But then he added, "While we're at Barnes & Noble, I want to ...." I
don't think it even entered his mind that the first place to check for a
book would be his public library. In fact, it didn't occur to me either
until we on our way home full of cookies and cappuccino, and twenty
bucks or so lighter in the wallet.

What has happened that this career librarian (and life-long library
lover and supporter) would head to a bookstore instead of the public
library to satisfy his family's reading needs?

Maybe a comparison between Barnes & Noble and the local library would be
useful?

1. Hours
My son wanted to get his book on a Sunday. B&N is open in Mankato every
evening in the week - Sunday's included - 95 hours a week. The public
library is only open until 8PM four nights a week and on Sundays not at
all. 38 hours less than B&N. Sort of convenient having a place to get a
book beyond the workday.

2. Selection
If I want old stuff (which is sometimes exactly what I want), I'll hit
the public library, no hesitation. But try to find anything new at the
library:
        Best sellers - out, and a long waiting list.
        Travel guides - 3 to 4 years old.
        New video tapes, audio-books, computer games - forget about it!
B&N not only has plenty of the newest stuff, they promote it. They revel
in it. And when it gets old and stale, like bread, it gets discounted
and never comes back to clutter the shelves. At B&N, I don't have to
wade through 8 old copies of Leonard Maltin's Movie Guide to get to this
year's edition.

My next experiment is to request a book inter-library loan on the same
day that I order an out of stock item from B&N. Who will get the
material to me the fastest? Oh, and I have to fill out my own loan form
at the library; B&N requests the book for me.

3. Service
I've got to admit most of our public librarians know their stuff. And
they are friendly, tenacious, and willing to help. The fact that only a
couple may be on duty during busy times does tend to diminish their
effectiveness. B&N clerks are nice enough, and since they tend to be
readers themselves, can sometimes recommend a romance or thriller. They
can usually get you to the cookbook or auto repair section, but they
have difficulty when you don't know if the book might just as easily
fall under the category of education, current issues, or political
science. And they don't do reference either.

The one terrific thing that the B&N could learn from the library is its
catalog. Big bookstores really need public terminals which serve as
guides to their stock. I get jealous when the clerk gets to use the
computer, and I don't.

4. Costs
Ah, you're saying, now the real advantage of the library will shine
through. Those books at B&N are at least $20 a piece, even $10 or more
for a paperback. Library books are free, or more accurately, paid for
indirectly by my city, county, state and federal taxes.

Library books are free when they are available (see above). What the
public library really ought to do is charge patrons about $3 a week to
read the latest pot boilers, and take that revenue and buy (here's a
concept) multiple copies. Sort of like at the videotape store. After the
newness wears off, the novel goes back to the free shelves.

Library books aren't free unless you return them on time. I hate due
dates on books. Once upon a time I had a life which allowed me the
leisure to read two or three recreational books a week. I never got a
fine. Now I am lucky to get through one "pleasure" novel a month, and I
am always getting fines. Still cheaper than shucking out a Hamilton,
right? Yes, but along with the fine comes a little humiliation, a
feeling that you just aren't quite the citizen your momma raised you to
be. If my novel of the month costs $20, so be it. I'll be careful not to
dogear it so I can give it to my brother-in-law for Christmas.

5. Ambiance and location
Here's the place that the public library needs to sit up and take
notice! Where do you go not just to read, but to sit in fine
comfortable, clean chairs? Sip a cup of coffee and eat a cookie while
reading? Hear a live string quartet softly play in the background? It
ain't my library! No food, no drinks, no noise, no nothing. Would it
kill those librarians if I brought in my own thermos of coffee or can of
pop? B&N owns its books. Why does its manager trust me not to slobber or
spill there?

Our B&N is close to our Walmart, K-Mart, discount grocery store,and
shopping center - places I get near to at least a couple times a week.
Our public library is in our rather dead downtown - where I go on
purpose once or twice a year. The library requires a special trip. B&N
is handy.

6. Programming
Well, the public library still has a story times for children, I
believe, but I don't know exactly when. B&N, the flyer they send out
tells me, this month alone has children's stories, a children's play,
poetry readings, author signings, a singer, a storyteller, a book
discussion group, and experts talking on subjects as diverse as women
aviators and divorce. The technology side of the store holds computer
game days, a Q&A session on Windows 95, and seminars on connecting to
the Internet.

One of the primary missions of the public library in this country has
been adult education. The public library, like the public schools, has
been an educational equalizer between the economic haves and have-nots.
B&N seems to taking on an educational mission as well - and the
opportunities it provides are relevant, valuable, and (gasp) fun! And it
doesn't do it passively - it reaches out and grabs the public. Take
notice, public library - just letting the books sit on the shelves until
a patron is motivated to come and learn doesn't cut it anymore, if it
ever really did. You need an active, exciting, educational program, and
offer, not just resources, but skills if you want to stay viable in this
information-glutted society.

Poor financing is only one reason our public libraries have lost their
eminence as the cultural and education hub of the community. Other
reasons may include a lack of vision, imagination and willingness to
serve the public in critical ways. Maybe the library board doesn't need
to do a nation-wide search for a new administrator. Maybe it only needs
to see if it can recruit the manager from Barnes & Noble.