If you want students to select books by the number of points they will
gain by reading them, by all means label and shelve them accordingly. If
you want them to select books according to their interest, by figuring
out their own reading level, or even by the appearance of the cover,
interfile the AR with the non-AR and don't label the point value or
reading level.

I had a mom a couple of years ago who insisted that her child be first,
in number of points, in number of books read, etc. She would come in and
check my title list to see which books had the most points, then demand
that her daughter read those books. I stopped giving her the list (I
said a teacher had it) so then she would go through the shelves and find
the highest point books. I also had kids making a big deal about how
many points they had, and kids who felt bad if they could only get a
small number of points compared to their classmates, simply because they
didn't read as well. I don't tally the points any more, I just offer
praise for test completion and increased reading levels, and encourage
those who struggle with their books.

I just don't think reading should be about points and prizes - but that
is only my opinion.

Cathy

--
Cathy Rettberg, Library Tech, SJSU MLIS Student
Brittan Acres Elementary School, San Carlos, CA