During "voting week," when we have our voting ballot box out for every
class [for YRCA and Beverly Cleary choice contests] - I read the
following books to the following grade levels with great success.  We
then talk a bit about democracy and the freedom to vote -- giving
concrete examples, such as the fact that they can't circle two names
and then let me choose which to count, because only they get to say
what they think is the best one [for younger kids] and they don't put
their name on their ballots because of privacy [for older kids].
Anyway, now that it is down to a science, I thought I'd share.  If you
have 15-20 minutes to read-aloud, these are GREAT read-alouds:

2nd grade:  You Forgot Your Skirt, Amelia Bloomer! by Shana Corey.
[this one is pretty short, actually]
[if you have it, you can show them a photo of the real Amelia Bloomer
in her bloomers.  It's on page 19 of Mother, Aunt Susan and Me: The
first fight for Women's rights by William Jay Jacobs.

3rd grade:  The Day Gogo Went to Vote: South Africa, April 1994 by
Elinor Batezat Sisulu.
I don't have any brief info about apartheid yet.

4th grade:  The Ballot Box Battle by Emily Arnold McCully.
[photos of Elizabeth Cady Stanton available in the same book I
mentioned above on pages 17 &21.]

5th grade:  When Esther Morris Headed West: Women, Wyoming, and the
Right to Vote by Connie Nordhielm Wooldridge.
Note for all the books that discuss women getting the vote.  Women got
the right to vote across the nation in 1920, but not all women did.
African-Americans did not get the right to vote across the nation
until 1965.

That's all!  These are REALLY GOOD read-alouds - not just books on the
right subjects, and I think they are terribly important subjects.

Contributed by TINI MAIER, BUCKMAN ELEMENTARY, PORTLAND PUBLIC SCHOOL

Edith Fuller
Librarian, Professional Library
Portland Public Schools
Portland OR 97208