Dear Heather
This is the very chapter I am working on in my book this weekend.  I can't
put all I have written in this email but one thing you might like to
consider is selecting the novel the whole class has been set to read (if
that is your school policy) or another, like Harry Potter, that is extremely
popular.  It is one way of ensuring that the reluctant readers, the
non-readers and those for whom English is a struggle have access to the
classroom assignments and current topics of conversation.

How often and how long you read depends on your timetable with the
students - if you can do it daily then that is best and take your cue about
how long from either the kids' engagement or the plot - finish at a point
where they are left wanting more. Tie your library skills lessons into to
the book itself to give it more connection and meaning.  If you have a set
program, ask yourself how can I weave this into the book, its author, its
contents, its cataloguing. Learning in isolation is learning forgotten.
Barbara

Barbara  Braxton
Teacher Librarian
Palmerston District Primary School