One of the "basic requirements" that all MLIS students had to undergo before
they could finish their program at the University of Oklahoma was subscribe
to a listserv, monitor it, ask questions, report from it, and then
unsubscribe successfully.  In addition, we had to format disks, create
spreadsheets, send emails to various individuals, create Powerpoint
programs--and this was almost six years ago when I (with eyes rolling in
disgust in having to do these "trivial activities") endured them.  At that
time I figured IF anyone was this far in their education, surely they could
do these things, so why did we need to perform 6-10 menial activities to
prove that we could access and utilize technology.

It was only when I was in the computer lab with others from the MLIS program
that I realized that many individuals just don't know how to do some of
these things.

I know what Mary is talking about when she says that following directions is
a pet peeve because we both monitor our state (Texas) librarian's
listserv--- which is becoming a nightmare with messages being sent to the
list stating things like:  "unsubscribe me until August 1" or "set nomail
until school starts back in the fall". (As if some magic fairy "knows" when
each librarian should receive the emails once again!)  In the meantime, I
(like Mary) roll my eyes in amazement that there are librarians out there
who can't get off "these listserv rollercoasters" even with directions.

Despite reminders, I just don't think everyone is reading the directions for
this process...so in the meantime, we'll keep hitting the delete buttons for
our listserv(s) in Texas!  (Stay patient, Mary!  It's a learning process and
I think we have SO many young librarians out there that need our help!)

Just an opinion....

~Shonda Brisco
Trinity Valley MS / US Librarian
Fort Worth, TX