Hi all,

I just received this today....and given this discussion, thought some =
people may have an interest in this.

Dear Christine Evans,

TALKBACK LIVE, Today at 2:00 p.m.!
  =20
Live Web Chat: Education Personnel Salary Trends

Join EDUCATION WEEK this afternoon, Thursday, June 24, 2004, at 2:00 p.m., =
ET, for a live Web chat on new data showing widening salary gaps among =
public school personnel. The chat will be based on new survey data on =
school salaries compiled by the nonprofit Educational Research Service. =
Among other things, the data show that while average salaries for =
superintendents have outpaced inflation over the past decade, teacher =
salaries have declined when adjusted for the cost of living. Join us to =
discuss what the data mean for schools and educators.=20

http://www.edweek-chat.org/

Chat Guests:=20

* Alicia Williams, director of survey research, Educational Research =
Service; and=20

* Bruce Hunter, associate executive director of public policy, American =
Association of School Administrators.=20

Submit advance questions here:

http://www.edweek-chat.org/question.php3

After 3:00 p.m., a transcript of the chat will be posted here:

http://www.edweek.org/ew/tb/tblive/transcript_06-24-
2004.htm

Christine L. Evans, librarian
Library/Media Center
Barrington Middle School - Station
cevans@cusd220.lake.k12.il.us
847-381-0464
>>> Mark Williams <markwilliams@MAKAW.NET> 06/23/04 17:57 PM >>>
Here in California, it is based on two factors....your age and the number
of years you have been in the system.  The formula is somewhat complicated
(the progression is not linear, as yours seems to be), and there are some
provisions that have been added to encourage people to stay in teaching by
giving additional dollars added to your final amount, based on the number
of years you've taught, i.e. over 20 years, over 30 years.  You can also
qualify to use only your highest year instead of  the average of your =
three
highest years.  I have just retired.  If I had stayed an additional 5 =
years
(I am currently 55 and was in the system for 35 years) I would have gotten
99.5% of my highest year.  Going at 55, with 35 years, plus the additional
dollars for longevity, I am getting just over 90%.

As I understand it, you CAN teach beyond 60, and it IS possibly with the
longevity bonus to actually receive a bit more than 100% of your salary, =
if
you started very early, as I did, and work beyond 62, as I did not!

At 09:08 AM 6/23/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>In Connecticut we have to put in 35 years to get the maximum pension
>allowed by law - 70% of the average of our highest three years pay (2% =
for
>each year we work) A collegue asked me today if this is the same in other
>states. I told her I had no idea but I knew how to collect the data
>quickly - by asking my virtual collegues.  I will post the answer in a =
day
>or two - assuming I get responses from enough states to make a valid
>assumption. Thanks

Mark Williams
Retired Librarian/Library Consultant
markwilliams@makaw.net
"The closest thing you will find to an orderly universe is a good library"