Dear LM_Netters:

I need your input please!   Our school division is pushing our schools to
join the regional public library system.  In short, we are to quit using
our current library automation software, use their system (Dynix) and they
would catalogue our books and all materials.   This proposal is going to
be quite costly they will charge $4.00 per book and $6.00 nonbook when I
do it for free and downloading MARC records has never been easier!!) and I
was wondering if anyone out there has ever had this experience and how it
all worked out.   So far, we are not being given an option and I will be
finding out more next week.   The librarians have NOT been given any
speaking power.   We were not invited to any of the meetings and even the
Principals are against this move!   The reason for this move, our board
says, is to share resources.   In our city we have 3 school divisions - 1
catholic and 2 public.   The other public system joined this public
library system years ago and the same gentlemen who was superintendent of
that division is now the CEO of this public library system.   He has made
a proposal to the catholic division and they rejected the offer to join,
but since this gentlemen was also a temp superintendent of our school
division, I believe that the push to join will be treated very seriously.
 Right now, I do not know how a public library system (that serves the
public) can have a successful marriage to a school library (we serve our
students and staff).   I see a real nightmare if we have to loan materials
to the public.....if anyone can come in and borrow materials that are soon
to be used by one of our staff members or students....whew...I can see a
train wreck happening here.   I can see that in essence, I will become a
shipper/receiver of materials.....when books become damaged, who is
responsible?....can anyone come in off the street with a public library
card and borrow our materials?....HELP!!!   Does anyone know Dynix?   Our
school division currently uses CASPR's LibraryWorld and another system
called L4U.

Anita Nagel, Library Technician
Margaret Wooding School
Redcliff, AB  CANADA