I have in front of me a fax from Bob Graham, the author of Let's Get a Pup.
He says that he is "really upset about people saying such nasty and horrible
and bigoted things about my book" but he is pleased "to plead guilty" to
creating books that "are full of people hugging and touching each other" and
that he likes "nothing more that to do a picture of a whole family in bed
together along with the dogs if I can fit them in."

Looking at it from an author's perspective, I can understand what it must
feel like to have something that is essentially an extension of you so
cruelly and unfairly besmirched, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was very
close to slander. Whilst Bob says he will continue to create these wonderful
happy family books, I wonder how painful it will be for him when he comes to
draw the next picture and inevitably the memories of this incident will
return.

I am so glad that when I hold a bookfair what is sent is what is on sale
(and I have never taken anything out because I don't believe I have that
right) and parents can pick and choose or not.  If a child buys something
that the parent decides is unsuitable, then that is an opportunity for
discussion between the parent and child.  Not me!
Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher-Librarian
Palmerston District Primary School