Many years ago, I found a terrific Dewey story that I adapted for my
students--Mrs. Dewey's Difficult Child. It started:

________ 's real name was Arthur, after the king in the
 (700-709)

__________________ , but they called him _________ for short.
 (398.2)                                                        (700-799)

He wasn't a bad boy when left to his own devices.   He didn't steal

__________ .   He never dirtied his ___________ because he was too
   (332.4)                                        (685)

lazy to climb _______ .   Experimenting with __________ , playing
                     (582.16)                                      (540)

with the ______ , watching _______ , or listening to ______ music
                    (636.7)                   (791.45)
      (552)

were his ideas of a good _______ .
                                           (529)

In case the formatting comes out weird in this posting, the numbers go under
the lines. Kids had to go to the shelves, find each number, figure out the
subject, and write it in the blank so it fit the contecxt of the sentence.
(Example: "...listening to ___ music"--they'd find that 552 is rocks, but "rocks
music" makes no sense, while "rock music" does.)

I'd love to use this story in the text of my new book (Books Kids Will Sit
Still For 3), but I can't find the source/author for permission. Does anyone
know whose story it was?

Judy Freeman
Children's Literature Consultant
Author of the forthcoming Books Kids Will Sit Still For 3
  (Libraries Unlimited, 2005; www.lu.com/winners)
65 North Sixth Avenue
Highland Park, NJ 08904
732-572-5634 / BKWSSF@aol.com