I have been guilty of radical re-cataloging of materials, even done the 'move them
from the 300's and 600's to the 900's so the
SocialStudies /history researchers should find it easier'.

In the name of 'easy access'.

But, no more.

We provide Pathfinders and Resource Guides. During project orientations we can
provide concrete examples why a 'WWII book' could
belong in the 300's since its focus is on women in the military, or in the 600's as
it covers the history and development of fighter
planes. And then, when the student's topic is women's role in the military, does it
seem logical that they need to be looking first
and foremost in the 900's? Do we move _Ryan White: My Own Story_ or Johnson's _ My
Life_ to the 300's, or 600's to 'help
researchers'?

Our collections, just like our subscription databases and encyclopedias, have
controlled vocabulary for access. Words used by the
experts in the topic. Part of our library job, providing access, is tied to part of
our teaching job, helping students become
effective and critical users of information. An AskJeeves style search regimen only
works within a certain range of research
sophistication.

We do need to think to future users (both succeeding librarians and students).
Curriculum changes, populations change. Our teachers
tend not to assign 'brain-dump' reports (write about the Romans)anymore; moving to
projects more open ended and higher up Bloom's.
And now we go out three decimal points to shelve the various drugs and abuse issues.

It probably is a lot easier to slap a new spine label and modify the record for
that than going through the records and cleaning up
SH's, etc. And yes, it is even possible that Brautigan's _Trout Fishing in America_
really was cataloged in the 700's.

Robert Eiffert, Librarian
Pacific Middle School, Vancouver WA
Pac.egreen.wednet.edu/library