Hello,

I have found this listserv to be a valuable resource
as I learn about school media, and I thank you in
advance for your consideration.  I did search the
archives but didn't really find what I needed.  Please
respond directly to me, because I am asking for
attachments.

I am an MLIS student also going for school media
certification (I am not a teacher - this is
a late career change).  I am taking a curriculum
development class, and one of our assignments is to
evaluate a curriculum unit.  I thought it would be
most useful for me to evaluate a unit/units based on
reference and database use (electronic and print)/web
site evaluation/and proper citation.  These might
stand alone, but I think that in a middle or high
school they
would run together nicely into a curriculum unit.

I wondered if you would be willing to email me one or
several of your curriculum units on these subjects for
me to use for this assignment?  I've pasted the
evaluation criteria and text assignment criteria
below.

Thank you so much for your consideration.

Amy Ball

Evaluation criteria:
Select
Student should select a unit or document that will be
evaluated and revised based on theories and ideas
discussed in class.  This unit or document should be
one that the student feels either needs considerable
work or is good but could be reviewed for its ability
to address the issues discussed in class and also
valuable to share with others.  This selection must be
approved by instructor.

Critique
Part One will critique the unit using the text
analysis format provided in class.  What are the overt
and covert aims of the unit or document under review?

Part Two will critique the unit using the educational
theories and theorist documents provided in class.
Which theorists’ ideas influence and support the unit
or document under review?

Part Three will critique the unit for its ability to
address and assist the goals of the various areas of
curriculum influence including:  curriculum models,
diversity affirmation, agency and leadership and
policy and professionalism as discussed in the
articles provided in class.  Does the unit or document
under review enable or support these ideals?

Revise
Student should revise the unit or document to more
adequately address the goals of the three areas
addressed in the critique.

Text analysis criteria
1. Analytic Reading:  Focus on the underlying
argument, rhetoric and narratives of the text.
2. Interpretive Reading:  Focus on placing the text
into a contextual framework.
3. Normative Reading:  Focus on the values, morals and
ethical positions you bring to the text to make a
judgment.  Then take a stand or raise the issues with
which you are struggling.

=====
Amy Ball, USC MLIS student
Charleston, SC