What a wonderful idea!  But one series that works for every fourth
grader?  A tall order.  Maybe several - book talk and read parts so
kids can decide which one they want to try.  Bruce Coville has a
number of series.  Judy Blume's Fudge series.  Narnia for the
advanced, the ones who have read all of Harry Potter.  Or The Dark is
Rising (Susan Cooper)  Are any Matt Christopher books in series?
Gordon Korman has several outdoor adventure series.  All of these are
in paperback.  A Series of Unfortunate Events is hot right now and
lots of kids are hooked on that.  Whatever one you pick, some will
have already read it and some won't like it.  If you provide a range
for interest and reading levels, you just might be able to hook most,
if not all.