We will be hosting Newbery-Award winning author AVI to our campus on Monday,
October 17th.  This has been a two-year effort in arranging  for his visit and we
are SO excited to be able to do this for our students and teachers.

While the basic things have been arranged (his hotel, flight, meals), when it comes
down to the minor things, I have decided that librarians (or least "some
librarians") are worse than "movie-star groupies!"

For me, I've known since the summer that I will be the ONE who picks up Avi to
bring him to our school on the morning of his presentation.  Besides the average
problems of the day (what should I wear---as if he cared), I have now decided that
there IS an obsession in all of this for me that transcends the basic wardrobe
questions....
.......what about my CAR????

Now, you can't bring an "award-winning author" to your school in a pick-up truck!!
(Even if it IS in Texas!)  I knew that this "author-business" was an obsession for
me when I decided two weeks ago to buy a new car!  While it was easy to convince my
husband that I needed to trade-in my old car for something newer (he's a
techno-car-freak --just give him an excuse to buy anything that has a motor or can
be upgraded), it wasn't until last weekend when I said, "Now, I feel better having
a new car to transport Avi around Fort Worth...." that I knew I had a problem!!
(besides a now-jealous husband!) <grin>

So....to those of you out there who are just like me (author-groupies), please let
me share with you that there is NOT a 12-step program to stop this insanity!
However, I am SO excited to be able to host AVI at our school on Monday...and I
wanted to brag (and confess my insanity).... But, this has to stop
somewhere.....right?....(Don't even ask what I had planned for Toni Buzzeo's
visit....unfortunately, it won't be ready until next summer, so I missed her latest
visit, but I'm ready for her the next time she's in Texas!!) <grin>

(....I wonder if I could get Avi to autograph the dashboard of my new car???)

Thanks for listening!  I'll post photos of Avi's visit to the library's website
immediately following our adventure on Monday!!

~Shonda

Shonda Brisco, MLIS
US / Technology Librarian
Fort Worth Country Day School