From: School Library Media & Network Communications
[mailto:LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Paula Yohe
Sent: Saturday, November 03, 2007 10:18 PM
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: Coffee shops in school libraries

I am curious on how coffees shops are not in violation of Statutory and Regulatory
Basis for Prohibition of Foods of Minimal Nutritional Value

Federal regulations implementing these statutes are found in Section 210.11 of the
NSLP regulations and Section 220.12 of the SBP regulations; the nutrition standards
are provided in Section 210.10 of the NSLP regulations and Section 220.8 of the SBP
regulations.

We had to develop policies on what could be sold in our high schools according to
federal guidelines.
Nothing could be sold during times when meals such as breakfast or lunch are being
served. The items which are sold had to meet specific fat, calorie and nutrition
guidelines. all carbonated drinks had to come out of vending machines, chips,
candy, etc. due to sugar, calories, etc.

Coffee, cinammon rolls, etc. would not be allowed - -

For K-8 in SC we have separate and more stringent guidelines but for 9 -12 we had
to use use federal guidelines and when I brought up a coffee shop -- I thought
folks were going to fall out.

So how are folks getting around the feds on this Paula

http://doug-johnson.squarespace.com/blue-skunk-blog/2005/10/13/a-jolt-of-jav
> a-your-library.html
>
> I've gotten calls from two reporters on this issue.
> Must be a "hot" topic? A
> burning issue? Somebodyıs cup of tea?
>
> All the very best,
>
> Doug
>

> Doug Johnson
> Director of Media and Technology
> Mankato Area Public Schools
> Box 8713, 1351 S Riverfront Dr.
> Mankato MN 56001-8714
> Phone: 507-387-7698 x 473
> E-mail: doug0077@gmail.com
> Web: www.doug-johnson.com
> Blue Skunk Blog:
> http://doug-johnson.squarespace.com/
>
> ³Thou shalt not² might reach the head, but it takes
> ³Once upon a time² to
> reach the heart. Philip Pullman

> Please note: All LM_NET postings are protected by
> copyright law.
>   You can prevent most e-mail filters from deleting
> LM_NET postings
>   by adding LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU to your e-mail
> address book.
> To change your LM_NET status, e-mail to:
> listserv@listserv.syr.edu
> In the message write EITHER: 1) SIGNOFF LM_NET  2)
> SET LM_NET NOMAIL
>  3) SET LM_NET MAIL  4) SET LM_NET DIGEST  * Allow
> for confirmation.
>  * LM_NET Help & Information:
> http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/
>  * LM_NET Archive:
> http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/archive/
>  * EL-Announce with LM_NET Select:
> http://lm-net.info/
>  * LM_NET Supporters:
> http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/ven.html
>  * LM_NET Wiki: http://lmnet.wikispaces.com/

Paula Yohe
Director Of Technology/Library Media Center
Dillon School District Two
405 West Washington Street
Dillon, SC 29536
Phone: 843-841-3604 Fax:843-774-1214