From: School Library Media & Network Communications
[mailto:LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Josephine Dervan
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2008 9:02 AM
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: Newbery and Caldecott winners on TODAY show

I hate to say this but the interview was standard Ann Curry style. My
husband and I are constantly amazed at how she conducts those interviews
on the Today Show. She gushes over the guests, asks a few inane
questions, declares herself a fan and moves onto the next segment.

The Today Show in it's current form is more entertainment than hard
news. The stories this AM included : a segment on losing weight, another
on environmentally friendly gifts at the Sundance Film Festival, a story
about emotional eating and as well as one about how coffee can cause
miscarriages.

Meredith Viera and Matt Lauer do the serious interviews and Ann Curry
does the authors and entertainers. Occasionally Al Roker does an
intelligent interview with a children's author as he did with Brian
Selznik months ago. Why would any serious author want to appear on the
show? Exposure and the possibility of a spike in book sales.

I'm not sure that the protests of a group of librarians will change
anything in the future. The popularity and profitability of the show are
what matters to the network.

Jo

Josephine Dervan, MLS -Online Instructor
School of Education, University of Wisconsin-Stout
dervan at optonline.net

He who has a library and a garden, wants for nothing- Cicero