Richie's Picks: WE WERE HERE by Matt de la  Pena, Delacorte, October 2009,
368p, ISBN: 978-0-385-73667-1; Libr. ISBN:  978-0-385-73667-1

"I'd love to stop and catch myself a bite
But I sure hate to leave the road tonight"
-- Todd Rundgren "Little Red Lights"

"And right then something clicked in my head.  I realized  how alone I was.
 Just another random kid in their system.  A  half-Mexican ghost from
Stockton who messed up his family.  I'd spent this  year with a bunch of other
ghosts from other nowhere places until they said I  could leave, and then I'd
have to go haunt some other spot.  And I was  trying to think if I could
ever go back home.  Maybe when my moms dropped  me off she was dropping my as
off for good.  My whole family would probably  turn their backs on me.  And
I'd have to roll solo like this  forever.
"Anyways, staring at all those initials, the shit hit me  hard.  I didn't
have nobody that cared about me anymore.
"Not even my own self."

What happened to land Miguel in the system is a mystery about  which we
speculate as his story slowly unfolds.  Miguel is an  observant kid; a reader
with a stellar grade point average who is  given a year in the system and the
requirement that he journal.  That  journal he writes is this book.  It
begins with Miguel locked  in a cell in Juvi with a big black kid named Rondell
who Miguel quickly  succeeds in provoking.  Then, when he is transferred to
the group home in  San Jose nicknamed the Lighthouse, Miguel immediately
gets into  it with a psycho Chinese kid named Mong who is transported away
from  the group home every other day for some sort  of undisclosed sessions.
In the days to come, after  his original roommate is tossed from the group
home for drug  transgressions, Miguel rooms alone.  Nevertheless, he will
sometimes  awaken in the middle of the night to find that Mong has slipped into
his room  and is standing there just staring at him.

Then, a new arrival at the group home is assigned to be  his new roommate.
It turns out to be Rondell from Juvi.

The first surprise of WE WERE HERE -- and it is sure a  surprise to loner
Miguel -- is that Miguel, Rondell, and Mong will together  escape the
Lighthouse and hit the road with plans for reaching some nice  place on the coast
in Mexico.

All the while, we are fed bits of the story of Miguel's home  life with his
mom and his big brother Diego:

"Growing up, Diego was always the crazy one.  Starting  fights and jacking
beers from the bodega across town and messing with mad  girls.  My folks
were always worried he'd be the one who would end  up in trouble one day.  My
pop used to sit him down every other week so  they could have talks about his
grades and his bad behavior in school and his  choice of friends.  I looked
at Mong and Rondell laying  there, staring up in the sky.  How strange that
it was me sitting  here on this beach with them.  Everybody always thought
it'd be Diego,  including me and Diego.  But it wasn't.
"It was me."

Through Miguel's journal, WE WERE HERE follows these  three young men on
the run.  For Miguel -- and for readers -- it is an  extraordinary journey of
discovery and of coming to terms with what  happened at his home.

"I pulled out the journal and read through a bunch of my  entries.  It was
crazy to look back over my last couple of  months.  So much shit had
happened.  It almost seemed like I had to be  making half the shit up, or at least
exaggerating.  But I wasn't,  man.  Every single thing in here is completely
true."

Richie  Partington, MLIS
Richie's Picks _http://richiespicks.com_ (http://richiespicks.com/)
_http://www.myspace.com/richiespicks_ (http://www.myspace.com/richiespicks)