I feel I need to put in my 2 cents on this topic. However, I have a
disclaimer, in that I am now a community college librarian, but we get
students right out of HS, and we deal with some of the same issues
found on this listserv. (a lot of the students I instruct are taking
developmental courses, meaning they have not tested into college level
courses, although they graduated from HS. Plus research is a weak spot
for almost all the students I come into contact with.)

Personally, I think if a student is just learning to do research, they
need to be directed to sites. They have to be taught how to do
research as well as web evaluation - two very different things. (I
don't believe these topics should be taught together - research first
using hard copies and directed sites, then web evaluation. This
listserv posts on web evaluation websites are great for this purpose.)

I have to agree that not everything on Wikipedia is for the younger
set - even encyclopedias have versions for the younger set, which
takes into account their maturity and reading level.

I believe the conversation about using wikipedia should start in
middle school, when students are doing more self directed research. I
am a fan of wikipedia, but I would not use it as a source. It is great
to find info fast, especially ephemeral or pop culture info. The value
of wikipedia is in the references/citations at the bottom of the
entries. If a site is truly reliable, the creator(s) will have cited
all their sources. (take a look at the star trek or star wars sites -
those creators are dedicated to be sure all info is correct!) In
reality, Wikipedia is nothing more than a secondary source. The
citations take you to the primary source, which is what should be
taught to be cited. I think the same should be true of encyclopedias,
unless there is a reason that the encyclopedia is the ONLY source to
be found on it (which I would find hard to believe) or the assignment
is to find some general info, pre-research, which I would then would
allow wikipedia.  Of course, always citing any sources.

My opinion is always to educate versus filter/restrict. When you
educate, students can take that information with them, assisting them
as they go out into the world or go further in their education.
But, this is just my 2 cents...
Theresa

Theresa Stanley
librarian