Tony said
> Maybe I am old fashioned, but I feel as a group of professionals we
> are losing a cohesiveness we once had.  I am not saying everyone
> should do the exact same thing, but to have a format in place that
> students can go from one location to another and be familiar with
> the arrangement and quickly pick it up is beneficial in my mind.
> Our local public library does arrange by "themes."  However, I have
> learned over the years that placement of some books is determined by
> the cataloger.  Many times I find books in one series in the Science
> Fiction section (my favorite), but I also check the "regular"
> fiction because some in the series have been cataloged in that
> section.  As for using the on-line catalog there...I can generally
> find materials faster than I can get access to a computer or that I
> can use the cumbersome search engine.
>
> Just my two cents!
> Hope everyone is having a great summer!
>
> Tony Pope

I have to agree with you on this, Tony. In my school we have deviated
from Dewey only to create a separate fiction section. But that is a
fairly common practice. Most  other librarians (or students for that
matter) should be able to come into my library and readily find what
they are looking for. I know how frustrated I get when I go to
bookstores and have to ask someone to locate a book for me because
they all seem to be arranged a little differently. My feeling is that
Dewey works well particularly for non-fiction so why go to the trouble
to change.

My two cents!

Marsha Redd, Librarian
Kelloggsville High School
Grand Rapids, MI
marsharedd@hotmail.com

Education is not a goal; it is a life-long process. Everyone is a
student. Everyone is a teacher.