I have to respectfully disagree with your analogy.

>... does not mean that EVERY educator, EVERYWHERE should eschew a
>very valuable resource that actually WORKS with the students.

I don't see how Facebook or Myspace actually work for students as an
educational tool? Yes a small percentage of students might use it in
some educational context, but not in such a way as to make teacher
participation a good idea. Yes, social networks are extremely
valuable in education, but not these two specific social
networks.  Let's move on to your party analogy.

>As most graduation parties are planned by parents, and invitations
>are issued by said parents, why would this lead to her being sued?
>I'm sure she's not attending a rave where ecstasy and weed is on the menu.

I would submit that teachers and students gathering at a Ning social
network that was organized by the teacher would be similar to the
graduation party organized by a parent.  However friending kids on
Facebook or MySpace would be closer to the rave.

Art

Art Wolinsky
OEO 3DWriting.com
Technology Director - Online Internet Institute
Educational Technology Director - WiredSafety.org
awolinsky@3dwriting.com
(609) 698-8223 (Home Office)
(609) 618-4433 (Cell)

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.
I will surely learn a great deal today.