I agree, that it is a very sad day when we censor our president. I would
think that most parents and teachers alike would like to use this as
learning experience. There is so much that can be taught thru the discussion
of his speech regardless of party membership. I think this whole issue has
been blown out of portion. I agree that if a parent can give a very good
reason, other than I just don’t like what Obama has to say, then yes excuse
that child from listening. And I don’t know that the speech is something the
elementary age child will understand, so yes maybe even skipping the
elementary, but High Schools students are to the age where they need to
start understanding what is going in the world around them. They also need
to understand that the world is very political and each and every person has
a view and sometimes an ex to grind, but again rather than complaining that
our president is taking up time addressing the students maybe we should be
grateful to have president that at least takes education seriously even if
we don’t agree with everything he wants to do.

Mary Taylor
Holdenville Schools
Holdenville, OK
mtaylor@holdenville.k12.ok.us