I am wondering if someone could explain to me how students that don't
have running water and electricity in their homes and only have access
to technology and a library at school can possible use a kindle to read
a book. 75% of my students do not have computers or even a phone in
their home. They cant use a cell phone because there is no signal. My
student's parents have trouble affording groceries most months; they are
not buying their student a Kindle.
Many of my students only have access to books because my school library
exists. I use and teach technology with my students so they are as
prepared as they can be if they choose to leave the reservation and
going to college. However, I don't spend much of my limited collection
money on electronic resources. My students cant use them from home, they
can use a book at home.
Heck with all the snow and mud this year I have students that could not
get to school for 10+ days because their roads were to muddy to drive
on. Thankfully they had library books at home to read.
The public library in the community of Gallup (the nearest town) is
busier than it has ever been with people checking out books and
materials. It is PACKED most days. People are lined up at the check out
counter.
I just think it is important to remember when we are talking about the
end of books, we need to remember that there is a BIG technology gap
between the haves and the have nots in this country.

Jennifer B. Brown
Librarian, National Board Certification
Church Rock Academy
Gallup, NM
505-721-1406
jbrown@gmcs.k12.nm.us

I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library.
Jorge Luis Borges

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail, including all attachments is for
the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential
distribution is prohibited unless specifically provided under the New
Mexico Inspection of Public Records Act. If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender and destroy all copies of this
message.

>>> Bob Hicks <bob.hicks@USD470.COM> 3/4/2010 7:57 AM >>>
Ms. Bates,

I don't believe I am taking as you say a  "hard stand" but rather
observing a coalescing  of economic, societal, and technological
forces and trends.  They don't seem to favor continuing to support the

Gutenberg era or "brick & mortar" or traditional libraries.  For
instance, if libraries (administrator driven?) are turning into
computer labs, digital books projected costing 1/3rd of print version,

school architects are reducing library square footage, patrons
accessing traditional library resources including the card catalog
without going to the library, your library averages X number of
patrons per day and 75% never touch a book, and the younger generation

preferring to read/use digital instead of books, what do all this
portend?

Also, there are the what ifs.  What if many jobs do not return--
average unemployment stays at 7-8% or, like Europe, is considered FULL

employment?  Housing values remain stagnant for next 5010 years thus
state tax revenues continue to decline?  If school librarians have to

cut, will it be easier or more difficult to defend to administrators
cutting an online resource instead of books?  Because of personnel
cuts, librarians have less time to review and process books?  What if

99% of books are also ebooked or the next YA bestseller is published
first as an ebook and only six months later as a hardback or
paperback?  Kindles, ereaders are $50?

digital resources to about half my budget (15-20 subscription
databases compared to 1,200 new books), created a a virtual library of

websites/resources, weekly bulk email staff/students reviews,
bibliographies, and research suggestions, student book reviews in
school paper, and usual displays, inservice and orientation of library

resources.  I've tried to encourage staff to require a certain percent

of "print" citations when doing research (3 out of 6 sources?).

Bob Hicks
Arkansas City High School Library
Arkansas City, KS 67005
bob.hicks@usd470.com

On Mar 3, 2010, at 3:16 PM, Naomi Bates wrote:

> I'm just curious, since you take such a hard and fast stand...can
you
> give examples of what  you, as  a high school librarian in Arkansas,

> do
> in assisting student's needs in research or other searches?  How are

> you
> accommodating the digital natives, or even perhaps, the digital
> immigrants?
> How is your library reflected?  How are patrons using the library at
> your high school and are you helping them reach their potential, be
it
> electronic or hardcopy?
>
> Just some curious questions....
>
> Naomi Bates
> Northwest High School Library
> Justin, Texas
> nbates@nisdtx.org
> 817-215-0203

> CHANGE
> Too many people make the mistake of assuming "change" is
automatically

http://opls.blogspot.com/2006/09/microsoft-opens-school-without-library.html

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2009/09/04/a_library_without_the_books/

http://www.csmonitor.com/Commentary/Opinion/2009/0717/p09s01-coop.html