------- Forwarded Message

Date: Thu, 13 Jan 94 19:19:57 -0500
To: "Scotts Creek Elementary School" <scotckel@micronet.wcu.edu>
From: "Gail M. Szeliga" <ny000999@mail.nyser.net>
Subject: Re: Microfiche

I too, considered going that route because my school never got into
microfiche.  I have since reconsidered after talking to some librarians
that already have extensive microfiche collections.  My reasons:

1. The investment in hardware and software will high.

2. More and more full text CD ROM databases are becoming available and
   prices are dropping.

3. I already have a CD ROM network with multiple user stations.

4. I do not want the hassle of retrieving and refiling microfiche, not
   to mention supervising students printing from microfiche.

5. I truly belive CD ROM is the future, microfiche the past.

>DATE:   Wed, 12 Jan 1994 18:52:56 -0500
>FROM:   WCU MicroNet List Echo <mngendel@MICRONET.WCU.EDU>
>
>For anyone in the know:
>I am considering replacing hard copy magazine back files with microfiche.
>This will be a substantial investment.
>
>        1) Is it worth it?
>
>        2) Should I wait for more full text magazines to be available on CD-ROM
 ?
>                                        Thanks,
>
>        David Proffitt
>                                        Scotts Creek Elementary School