A late but very useful reply.  Thanks Gloria.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 25 May 1994 18:02:01 -0500 (CDT)
From: Gloria McClanahan <mcclan@tenet.edu>
To: Mike Eisenberg <mike@eryx.syr.edu>
Subject: Re: TARGET-->CD-ROM towers and networks

Mike,

I'm late on LM-Net replies. I'm playing catch-up. We are running 3 CBIS
towers with 7 drives in each (and space for 7 additional drives in the
newest tower we added). Our server is an old IBM Mod 80--386. The
CD-Server is also a 386. Speed depends upon the database. Most of the
applications we run are wonderfully fast. The kids love them all--no
speed complaints unless everyone on 20 stations is logging into the same
database at the same time.

I'm sure you have all the details you need by now. If you need any
additional information, please let me know.

Gloria McClanahan               Librarian
McNeil High School              Round Rock ISD
Austin Texas                    mcclan@tenet.edu

On Tue, 3 May 1994, Mike Eisenberg wrote:

> Does anyone have experience with the number of drives in towers and
> performance?
>
> For example, we've heard that 2 towers with 14 drives each is VERY SLOW.
> Would 4 towers with 7 each outperform the 2 towers? How's the
> performance with 4 towers and 7 drives?
>
> Actually, since we will probably go with 3 towers each with 7 drives,
> how's the performance in that configuration?
>
> Please respond to me - I'll post results back to LM_NET.
>

> Thanks in advance.
>
> Mike

>           |       Mike Eisenberg   <mike@ericir.syr.edu>             |
>           |      Professor, School of Information Studies            |
>           | Director, ERIC Clearinghouse on Information & Technology |
>           |      Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY 13244             |
>           |      Phone: 315/443-4549   Fax: 315/443-5448             |

LM_NET Archive Home