Hi, Joan.  AV ACCESS is not produced by Follett although they may
distribute it configured for use on their system.  It is produced by
Professional Media Services out of California.  We use it on our
Bibliofile Cataloging Network and have found it a useful source for
video and sound recordings.  That makes up the bulk of the database,
although they also have some "talking books" (book & cassette combos).
We haven't seen any computer software on it all.  We think it's fairly
useful especially for the descriptive cataloging.  We do see a need to
change Dewey numbers and add or modify subjects because the cataloging
has a public library bias in these respects.  Hey, every little bit
helps, but I wouldn't use the records totally unedited in a school library.

Good luck!

Jyl Chickowski
Supervisor, Library Technical Services
Spring Branch ISD, Houston, Texas
jwolf@tenet.edu

On Wed, 25 May 1994, Joan Arrowsmith wrote:

> A couple of months ago we heard about the new AV MARC record database,
> called Alliance AV ACCESS, from Follett on LM_NET.
> Is anyone out there using it yet?  If so, what do you think?
> How is it for films and videos in particular?
> Has anyone found any other sources for AV MARC records they would recommend?
> Any information greatly appreciated.
>
> Please send responses to:
>
> Cathleen Szabo & Joan Arrowsmith
> Fieldston Lower School
> internet en09063@llwnet.ll.pbs.org
> --
> Cathleen Szabo & Joan Arrowsmith   en09063@llwnet.ll.pbs.org
> Fieldston Lower School             718 543-5000  ext. 294
> Fieldston Rd., Bronx, N.Y. 10471
>
> --
> Cathleen Szabo & Joan Arrowsmith   en09063@llwnet.ll.pbs.org
> Fieldston Lower School             718 543-5000  ext. 294
> Fieldston Rd., Bronx, N.Y. 10471

LM_NET Archive Home