On Thu, 1 Sep 1994 DDWCHS@AOL.COM wrote:

> In the past, we have issued new bar codes to each student, each year, which
> was to be placed on their ID cards, and then presented each time to check out
> material from the media center.  Here we are, however, facing a new year,
> complete with new ID cards, and not looking forward to the task of starting
> from scratch once again.

Doug and the Group,

I, too, hope to see a discussion of this subject.  When we purchased our
automation system, our original intent was to use the student number.
The student number is assigned when the child enters school and goes with
him/her until he/she graduates.  In high school students have to use that
number for EVERYTHING.  It doesn't take them long to discover that they
must know it before they can participate in any activity.

Although we are not checking out books yet (we are waiting for our retro
conversion) with the bar code reader, we do have student data keyed in.
Our system has a place to show the projected graduation date, so I assume
it will delete or store those names and numbers when that group graduates.

I anticipate that once we begin to use library cards with picture (free
from the school photographer with self-stick adhesive on the back) and
STUDENT NUMBER (also bar code number), that the students will use the
cards as some kind of identification.  We hope that once all of us have
pertinent information attached to that student number, it will be a
simple task to pass the files of each class on to the next campus as they
move.

Are any of you doing that?  If so, what have you learned that you should
have done or shouldn't have done?  Any advice would be appreciated.

Betty
                                .----.
Betty Hamilton, LRS             |    |                701 Cub Drive
bhamilt@tenet.edu           ____|*    ~~~~~~.         Brownfield TX 79316
Brownfield High School      \               |         (806) 637-4523
                                  \     {
                                    \  }
                                      ~

LM_NET Archive Home