I love all the "guy" books--Tom Clancy, Clive Cussler, Deighton, also
fantasy and science fiction plus the "trash" historical fiction that men
won't touch. Seems to me back in library school and before that education
courses taught that women's/girls' interest in book topics was generally
wider that the guys.  (I'm only repeating the professors theory :-) ) I
generally read for escapism (sp?) so I generally avoid non-fiction (I
believe that is suppose to be a "girl thing".  I say to each--read
whatever turns you on and that's the way I approach the kids.  Right now,
our students love to read the books "soon to be movies" or the books that
were made into movies--and no it's not to write a book report without
reading the book.  They want to see what's different or what the movie
left out.
Sandy Barron                 Tomball High School
sbarron@tenet.edu                      30330 Quinn Road
713-357-3219                            Tomball, Texas 77375
FAX 713-357-3252             "making the difference with information science"

On Sat, 3 Jun 1995, Michele Mueller wrote:

> Mary --
>
> According to Carol Gilligan's work, men <in general> have an "us against
> them" philosophy of life, and women <in general> have an open,
> accomodating, inclusive philosophy, it seems natural to me that men would
> prefer the rather stereotyped good country/bad country themes of Tom Clancy
> books.
>
> All right, go ahead, flame me  %:)
>
> Shellie Mueller
> entiat@u.washington.edu
>
> P. S.  As a card-carrying member of the Jane Austen listserv group, I can
> testify that we've just been having a no-holds-barred discussion about
> whether/why serious Jane Austen fans seem to be predominantly women.
> Much discussion about the "inner life" as opposed to
> action-packed-thriller "outer-events life" modes ....

LM_NET Archive Home